Thursday 19 February 2009

Lorrain's tea bar


Winter in any seaside town is strange, but especially in one that can appear quite run down even in the summer months. I love the tatty old signs blowing in the wind, and the tackiness of any graphics - a contrast which seems even more stark on a grey dreary winter's day. This is Lorrain's tea bar, a snack bar and bucket and spade shop which opens in the summer and is just an empty shell in the winter. I often wonder if she is really Lorrain without an 'e' or if the signwriter got it wrong!

2 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

What a fun sign. Tourist towns always seem so sad and lonely to me during the off seasons, but I'm sure the locals welcome a bit of peace!

Jane Hards Photography said...

This is so much a UK seaside image of the past. When I lived in Blackpool the winters were always so desolate and the town spookily quiet.